My Trip Along The Wilderness Waterway- The Culmination Of A Thirty Year Quest

Beginning in early winter 2008 I determined to fulfill my dream of canoeing the length of the Wilderness Waterway running between Everglades City and Flamingo Florida. That is a ninety nine mile crossing. By January 2009 I was ready to give it a try. At the beginning of February I finished the journey. It was a great adventure.

______________________________________________

THE FIRST RULE OF USING THE WILDERNESS WATERWAY- LEAVE IT AS PRISTINE AS YOU FOUND IT
______________________________________________
______________________________________________

Friday, May 21, 2010

Video- River Cruise



This is just a casual float along one of the narrower passages I encountered. It represents the type of experience I envisioned I would have all the way to Flamingo, just gently flowing water, ideal conditions for a leisurely journey. In reality it was severely atypical of the Waterway with its wide bays, open to the winds and subject to heavy wave action. Heavy waves, that is to say, for a fourteen foot canoe with less than a foot of free board.

I believe this is the Plate Creek. I am certain it is after I passed through Alligator Creek, where I wish I had thought to shoot in video, and checking my map Plate Creek is the next body of water that fits the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment