My Trip Along The Wilderness Waterway- The Culmination Of A Thirty Year Quest

Beginning in early winter 2008 I determined to fulfill my dream of canoeing the length of the Wilderness Waterway running between Everglades City and Flamingo Florida. That is a ninety nine mile crossing. By January 2009 I was ready to give it a try. At the beginning of February I finished the journey. It was a great adventure.

______________________________________________

THE FIRST RULE OF USING THE WILDERNESS WATERWAY- LEAVE IT AS PRISTINE AS YOU FOUND IT
______________________________________________
______________________________________________

Friday, May 21, 2010

Three Stages of The Trip: Early, Middle and Finish







1] View from the Sunday Bay Chickee at low tide. This picture was taken on my first attempt to course the WW. The evening before, I arrived at low tide and even after waiting for the a rising tide I had to use my paddle as a pole and pulled the canoe over mud to reach the platform. The channel from open water to the platform is shown on the right, (at the base of mangroves). The tide rose to high during the night, but had fallen so low by the time I left that I had to get out and pull the canoe over knee deep mud to escape. I recommend taking note of the tides before committing to using this location.

2] Sunday Bay at low tide.

3] The Nightmare. This picture taken at high tide shows some of the many tree falls that threaten to obstruct this route even at high tide and reputedly make it virtually impossible to transverse during low tide.

4] Self portrait with camera held at arms length. Taken the morning after arriving at Flamingo, while it was still cold.

5] Me with all my gear and paddle in hand. I rarely used the paddle, other than while going through the Nightmare I had opted for the lazy, and quicker, outboard motor propulsion. Photo taken by my sister Jodie Wright.

No comments:

Post a Comment